Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Best Chili EVER. And I gave it away.

Last week we learned that our neighbor passed away. She had been battling lung cancer for some time. I knew that she was not doing well when I heard that her high school best friend from the east coast was staying with them as her caregiver. I am saddened by her loss, and I feel for the family. But as her husband (John) said earlier today, she’s no longer in pain.
I really like John. He’s an easygoing guy that runs his own business and loves to golf. He borrowed my travel club bag when he went to the Caribbean, and brought me back a cap from the course he played, as a token of his appreciation. That was cool.
When I learned of Lisa’s diagnosis earlier this year, I made her some of my Mac & Cheese. She came by shortly after to drop off a graduation present for Abbey, and complimented the gesture. Do that, and I can’t wait to cook for you again. Unfortunately I did not cook for her again. I wish I had. But since her funeral is 3 days away, I thought that I’d make something and drop it off. I remember when Peg’s mom, and later my dad, passed away. It seemed like the food was dropped off by the truckload. But it disappeared just as quick, and man, was it appreciated.
Since the weather turned cold, I made up some chili and cornbread. I have been working on the chili recipe for a while. It’s a blend of two of my favorite recipes, and each time it gets better. Today it might have reached perfection. I say that because, gosh darn it, I (only) made exactly 1 bowl more than the volume of the containers I bought. I ate just enough to know that it was good! I think tomorrow I’ll see if I can repeat near perfection.
Because most families have “Some like it hot” and “Some like it not” AND very few slow cookers can handle the mass of what’s being cooked, here is what I do. Just before you add the flour/water mixture, divide the chili. Put ½ back in the pot used to cook the meat, and leave ½ in the slow cooker. Combine 1 tbspn flour/corn starch and 1 cup hot water, and add to the slow cooker. Add the same water/flour mixture to the pot over low heat. You will then add the cayenne/red pepper flakes to slow cooker only. Cook each for about an hour.

Mo Meat Chili
(Serves everyone, and then some or about 12 servings)

1 tablespoon olive oil
½ lb thick sliced bacon (~ 5 slices) cut into ½” pieces
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 small onions, finely chopped
½ cup finely chopped bell peppers (green and/or red) - Optional
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon paprika (smoked preferred)

2 tablespoon2 Chipotle salsa - Optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb lean (~90%) ground beef
1 lb sirloin steak - trimmed and diced in 1/2 “ chunks
¾ lb ground pork
1 bottle American Lager Beer (I use Land Shark)
½ cup tequila
1 can (25 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (25 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 can (14 oz) dark kidney beads
1 can (14 oz) white kidney beans
1 can (14 oz) black beans
Cayenne or Red Pepper flakes, to taste (I use ¼ teaspoon cayenne or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes for ½ of the batch)
2 tablespoons mesa (or corn starch)
2 cups water

Heat a medium stock pot and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook the bacon until it just starts to turn crispy. Add the garlic, onions, peppers, chili powder, and cumin until vegetables start to wilt. Add the ground beef and cook until it browns, stirring frequently to break it up. Add the paprika, oregano, salt and pepper, and pork, stirring frequently to break it up.
Drain and rinse the beans, and place in the slow cooker with the beer, diced tomatoes (with juice) and crushed tomatoes.  
Once the pork is cooked through, transfer all of this to the slow cooker with the beer, tomatoes, and beans. Add the sirloin steak to the same pan, and sear until browned. Add the browned steak and the tequila to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 2 to 3 hours.
Combine the mesa/corn starch with the hot water, mixed well, and add to the chili. Add cayenne/red pepper cook for about 1 hour more. Serve with corn bread, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and lime wedges.


No comments:

Post a Comment